Two Weeks Later…
Bruce Price had an army of men on the spot.
1,800 men were imported and lodged in a small city of shanties built along regular streets with such names as "Fifth Avenue," "Broadway," and "Corso." The mess-hall was called "Delmonico's," which was the fashionable New York City restaurant at that time. Working with only the primitive tools then available, the men from this camp succeeded in building thirty miles of graded dirt and macadam roads, a water and sewage system (the first complete one in the world), the Park gatehouse and police station, twenty-two cottages, two blocks of stores, the village stables, a new dam, an icehouse, a swimming tank and a hatchery. The clubhouse itself was a huge gray wooden building with wide porches. It was designed in the comfortable living style of the day, with spacious public rooms and complete facilities for entertainment as well as sport. The ballroom, which was quite large and round in shape, instantly became one of America's most famous rooms.
By May 30, 1886, it was ready for the opening celebration.