Tuxedo hosted the country's first interclub match in the summer of 1894, when a seven-man team from Shinnecock Hills Golf Club came to compete.
This laid the woodwork for a contest of a greater scale later that October,
when six teams, two each from Tuxedo and St. Andrew's Golf Club, and one each
from Shinnecock Hills and The Country Club. The planning and building of the New York State
Thruway marked the end of this golf course built in 1889. Robert Trent Jones, Sr. was enlisted to design a
new course on a farm two miles south of the lake and main clubhouse. Jones took full advantage of the new site, which
opened in 1957, to build what is a challenging and scenic course.